Kamus Cam-Melayu is an effort to re-organize the phonology, grammar and the lexicons of Cham language , to lift up the dignity of Cham language which had been being one of the language of knowledge around the Malay Archipelago long time ago.
KAMUS CAM-MELAYU; Jawi-Rumi (INÂLANG CAM-MELAYU; Huruf Cam – Rumi Cam)
Ra-rumiak: Amâ Nai
Jawi Cham Consultor: Sohibus Somahah Okhna Hj. Kamaruddin Yusuf (Mufti of Cambodia)
Jawi Melayu Consultor: al-Ameen Serve Holdings Private Limited.
Board of Editors: al-Ameen Serve Holdings Private Limited.
Jawi Cham Font Creator: Adei Nai
Publisher: al-Ameen Serve Holdings Private Limited.
1) Sources and references of the entries:
- Nai Mai Mâng Makah by Po Dharma, G. Moussay, Abd Karim (published)
- Manuscript Sah Sakei (in progress)
- Manuscript Nai Mahrut (in progress)
- Other manuscripts:
Ms Cam 35 – pg 19-35
Ms Cam 37 (23) – pg 201-206
Ms Cam 37 (32) – pg 282-286
Ms Cam 39 (9) – pg 189-210
Ms Cam 39 (24) – pg 324-343
Ms Cam 39 (36) – pg 475-534
Ms Cam 39 (37) – pg 535-539
Ms Cam 39 (38) – pg 540-546
Some of the examples given are qoated from some manuscripts, which are shown below the entries.
2) Meaning and Translation:
- Dictionnaire Cam – Francais by Etienne Aymonier.
- Dictionnaire Cam – Vietnamien – Francais by Gerrard Moussay.
- Kamus Arab – Melayu by Idris al-Marbawi.
- Kamus Perancis – Melayu by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Malaysia.
- Kamus Dewan Third Edition by Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka Malaysia.
3) Grammar - Tatabahasa DewanThird Edition:
The grammar of Cham language is detected clearly when we do the comparison between the grammar of Melayu-Cam, for instances:
- Derived Word:
~ te = ter…..Paku nan tebuic = Paku itu tercabut.
~ pa = me…..Paraih ketak = Menoreh getah.
~ ma = me…..Manaok nyu kieng masuh malahuei di angaok urang Islam = Mereka hendak melancarkan peperangan ke atas orang Islam.
- Compound Word:
~ maluk maler; bimaluk maler = campur aduk; bercampur aduk.
~ khat ala; pekhat ala = ganti rugi; mengganti rugi.
- Preposition (some):
~ di = di…..Hâ bac di labik nan hadom thun paje? = Anda belajar di situ sudah berapa tahun?
~ kala = bagi…..Nyu mai kala labik halun = Dia datang bagi menggantikan saya.
~ ka (tok) = untuk…..Gru mebiai ka anâk saih luak aer = Guru bercakap untuk anak murid mengerti.
~ ka = kepada…..Harak nan dahlak hu payua ka tuan blaoh = Surat itu saya sudah mengirim kepada tuan.
~ mâng = dari…..Nai mai mâng Makkah = Tuan puteri mai dari Makkah.
~ pak = pada…..Pak kau dunia ni labik pacheh pachai min = padaku dunia ini tempat berhibur sahaja.
~ dalam = dalam…..Nyu joy dalam panaik nan= dia pandai dalam bidang itu.
:: The characteristics & purposes of the dictionary:
1) Focusing on the accurate usage of Cam language in Arabic form; Huruf Cam form around the world.
2) User guidance – the way how to spell words based on Akhar Cam.
3) Akhar Cam applied is the Eastern Cam Script; Vietnamese Cam form.
4) Words are arranged in alphabetical order, with the root words, plus derived words based on the manuscripts referred.
5) To educate Cham people how beautiful Cham Language is, to remind Cham people what the ancestors have said, to help to preserve Cham language and to prevent from a severe contamination.
6) Examples given are based onCham and Malay idioms, historical villages and places and events in Campa, daily informal speech of the Chams in the dialects around Panduranga-Angiang-Cambodia. Anyway, the serious slang like "nao ~ niao..tada ~ tadia..sadang(saradang) ~ sadiang --- habar ~ haban..war ~ wan" isn't applied. The dictionary also talks about Islam and the way the Chams earn for the living. In addition, it also states some of the accommodations in Malaysia, but yet it hasn’t talk about the way the Chams in Malaysia struggle for the living.
:: Biodata of the Organizer:
“If I have to move alone, I shall still moving” – Amâ Nai.
He is a pious Muslim who was born in Palei Kaoh Kabuak, Angiang, Vietnam. His mother is Cham while his father is Chinese. Had been examining the Vietnamese Cham script for almost 3 decades, and the Cambodian Cham script for nearly 20 years. He speaks fluently in Cham language; (covering the diaclects of Panduranga, Chau Ðoc, and Cambodia), Vietnamese language, Malay language, Khmer language, and a little bit Arabic language.
~ My very appreciation to the organizer of the book, may Allah always bless U.